This aromatic spiced chickpeas pulao is created in one pot with basmati rice, white chickpeas, herbs, and spices.
To make chana pulao, you must first cook chickpeas, also known as safed chana or Kabuli chana. If you have leftover boiled chickpeas, you can add them as well. Chickpeas from a can also be used.
If you don't use non-sticky basmati rice and ghee, your chole pulao will be off. This is a simple and easy pulao to prepare.
This pulao can be served with any raita and a side salad of your choice.
1. Rinse and soak 34 cup chickpeas/chole/chana in adequate water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
2. Drain them thoroughly. Then add everything to the pressure cooker. Add roughly ½ tsp salt as well.
3. Pour in 3 to 3.5 glasses of water.
4. Cook for 12 to 14 whistles, or about 20 minutes, until the chickpeas are soft and thoroughly cooked.
5. Drain the cooked chickpeas one more and set them aside.
6. 1 cup heaping basmati rice, rinsed thoroughly in water until the water runs free of starch The rice should then be soaked in enough water for 30 minutes. After that, strain and set away.
7. Add ¾ inch ginger (chopped), 3 to 4 garlic cloves (chopped), 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves, 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, and 1 green chile to a small grinder, chutney grinder, or magic bullet (chopped).
8. With ½ to 1 tbsp water, make a semi-fine or fine paste of the components. Set aside this green paste.
9. Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker and add all of the whole spices – ½ tsp caraway seeds, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 1 to 2 single strands of mace, 1-inch cinnamon, 2 to 3 cloves, and 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf). Sauté the whole garam masala or spices for a few seconds, or until fragrant.
10. After that, add the chopped onions.
11. Cook the onions until they are light brown or golden brown.
12. Now add the green paste and cook till the raw ginger-garlic fragrance fades.
13. After that, add the diced tomatoes. Stir and cook for 1–2 minutes.
14. Then stir in a pinch of turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, and a pinch of garam masala powder. Combine thoroughly.
15. Mix in the non-sticky basmati rice.
16. Mix thoroughly and sauté the entire mixture for one minute.
17. ½ teaspoon lemon juice
18. Then sprinkle with saffron threads (optional). Everything should be thoroughly combined.
19. Add the cooked chickpeas, drained.
Punit Proteins is the leading Kabuli chana Wholesaler in Vadodara.
20. Then pour in the water.
21. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 whistles or 10 to 12 minutes in a pressure cooker set to medium.
22. When the pressure has settled on its own, open the stove cover. fluff the rice carefully.
23. Garnish with coriander or mint leaves and serve. Serve hot with raita, pickle, papad, or any vegetable salad.